- This week I came across an interesting article on study about the benefits of cursive writing but I cannot find it now, so here are two that I came across while searching for the article I wanted to share:
- Why Cursive Mattered at The Atlantic
- Karen Robinet column: In defense of cursive handwriting
- Sweet & Sour Chicken Kabobs ~ yummy, but next time I'm doubling the dipping sauce because my family wanted more of it
- What to do if you encounter a coyote while walking your dog ~ good tips here, especially keep your dog on a 6 foot leash, stand tall & keep eye contact with the coyote(s) & haze them. When we lived in the mountains we couldn't avoid walking on their trails, since they cruised through our yard and down the streets as they pleased so I always hazed them. If they didn't leave quick enough when I yelled & tossed rocks or pine cones at them, I would charge at them and then they'd run, even though I'm sure they knew I'd never be able to catch them. ;-)
- We also tried this white BBQ sauce on the chicken my husband barbequed this week - pretty good, but next time I'm going to try substituting Tony Chacere's creole seasoning for the salt & hot sauce since we added Tony's to it at the table.
- Saying of the Amen, Clapping, and Hand-raising in Worship 4 ~ I'm not big on clapping after choral or "special" singing in church so I found this interesting. To me, clapping usually seems to take the focus off worshipping the Lord and makes it about the person or people who are singing. (You can find parts 1 - 3 here, but at the time I'm writing this, I've not yet had time to read them.)
- The One Simple Reason The Village Church Is Wrong, Some Thoughts on What Is Happening at The Village Church, and The Red Pill and The Village Church at Matt Redmond's blog, Echoes & Stars ~ this is a sad situation but from what I've read, I agree with Redmond (& others) that Matt Chandler/The Village Church are in the wrong. They should have supported and come alongside the wife & any victims while disciplining the perpetrator. Hoping (& praying) that Chandler/Village doesn't go the way of Driscoll since so many Christians like him.
- ^^ News update: This came out after I had typed up most of this post but apparently Chandler & The Village church took the criticism of how they handled the whole situation to heart and have apologized. This sounds like very good news. Articles HERE and HERE. (Disclaimer: I don't know anything about the blog at the 2nd link so can't vouch for anything else there but so far they were the only two I saw.)
- 8 Features of the Best Kind of Calvinism at Challies' Informing the Reforming
- The Sins of Our Celebrities ~ in general (since no names are named in this post)
- We are All the Duggars at Liberate (we never watched the show so I haven't been following this story)
- Imagine . . . if TGC didn't exist ~ funny but I sometimes agree
- TGC… Just Social, Or Social Justice? at Alta Forma (goes well with "Imagine" post above & makes valid points)
- The Shattering of Every Calvinist’s Dream at the Founders' blog
- current (April 2015) issue of Credo Magazine
- The Pastor’s Dilemma: How Pastoral Debt is Destroying Churches (And What You Can Do to Help) at ScribblePreach ~ interesting article but the college debt problem isn't confined to just Pastors, it's a problem for all college graduates. Seems to me that unless you get a job as an attorney, politician, univiersity professor or brain surgeon, paying off college debt will be hard for everyone since most jobs, even for college graduates, don't pay all that much in this economy. For more info, see "He Turned Down All 8 Ivy League Schools for Good Reason" and "New Ways to Pay Down Your Student Loan Debt" on Clark Howard's website.
- Being a Childless Wife
- The Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals are giving away several copies of Going Beyond the Five Points (see last weeks links) ~ don't know when they'll draw the winners names so hurry over if you want to try to win a copy
More links re Chandler/Village church (since they've made a public apology I wasn't sure if I still wanted to include them or not so have decided to put them at the very end of todays post:
- The Village Church, Child Pornography and a Hero Makes a Statement
- The Village Church: Child Pornography is Child Sex Abuse
- Insidious Behavior at The Village Church Regarding a Pedophile and His Former Wife: Horrific story of
spiritual abuse, mishandling of sex abuse, church membership, Matt Chandler, The Village Church,
Jordan Root, pedophile, child pornography
- She Speaks: The Village Church protects a confessed pedophile and "disciplines" his wife, a brave young woman and missionary
- Matt Chandler: Standing By To Hear From Love at Thou Art the Man ~ all I can say about that rant is "how high school!" & it makes Chandler look like the "narcissistic zero"
- Mark Driscoll, Matt Chandler, and The Village Church Scandal and Pastors, It is NOT Your Decision To Make! at Divorce Minister