Most years I don't bother with New Year's resolutions, but since I'm toying with the idea of doing some this year, and they're mostly book & reading related, I thought I'd link to a bunch of book & reading articles today.
- Recently I've seen several posts in a book group on Facebook talking about the idea of picking a Literary Mentor for the coming year. The idea intrigues me so I'm thinking about trying it. If I understand correctly, the idea is basically to pick an author that you find inspiring or that you feel you could learn from and then read a lot of their works throughout the year. Because "different authors have different insights to offer to enrich our lives, and by reading several works by them you are better able to focus on what you'd like to change in your life." Now I have to pick just one (or two?) of my many possible choices and decide if I want to study a "secular" author or a Christian leader (or both?). At this point my list includes: Jane Austen, C.S. Lewis, Flannery O'Connor, Louisa May Alcott, L.M. Montgomery, Sally &/or Sarah Clarkson, Charles Spurgeon, John Calvin, Edith Schaeffer, Elisabeth Elliot, G.K. Chesterton, John Owen, Aimee Byrd, Jerry Bridges, etc. Decisions, decisions.
- The VT Reading Challenge group on Goodreads ~ My goal for this challenge is to read 30 books, so I guess that will make me a smidge over an Avid reader, while my overall Goodreads reading goal is 35.
- Modern Mrs Darcy's 2017 Reading Challenge ~ my plan is to have some overlap here so that some of the books I read for the VT Challenge will also count for this one. ;)
- I've also joined a group on Facebook with the goal of reading Michael Horton's The Christian Faith together in 2017. I bought it several years ago when it was discounted on Kindle and it's been sitting in my queue/TBR list ever since - I'm hoping this is the kick-in-the-pants I need to actually read it.
Books & Reading links
- Five Favorite Books from 2016 at A Storyfull Life
- Reading Nook with Wood Plank Wall ~ love this DIY project, now if I only had a little inset space like theirs
- Top Ten Books of 2016 at The Captive Reader
- Best Books of 2016 at Becky's Book Reviews ~ how does she manage to read so many books?
- 16 Favorite Books Read in 2016 at Stray Thoughts
- The Best of My Reading Life: 2016 at A Living Pencil
- The 10 Best Emily Dickinson Poems
- The Best Children’s Books of 2016 Are Full of Joy and Wonder
- Reading and listening for 2017 at Tried With Fire
- Initial thoughts about Hillbilly Elegy at The Upward Call ~ because I keep hearing great things about this book, I'm thinking about adding it to my TBR list for the 2017 reading challenge
- Where Should Our Women be Discipled? and No Little Women Introduction at Housewife Theologian ~ because I really want to read this in 2017
- My Favorite Books of 2016 at 1517 (Todd Pruitt's blog) ~ even though some of these will never make it to my TBR list unless I get lucky and find used copy at a thrift store; paying $30 for a Kindle book is not happening
Bible Reading plans
- A Bible Reading Plan and Bible Study for the New Year at A Daughter of the Reformation
- New Year and Reading Lists and Journey Through the Bible (from last year) at Sojourner Between Worlds
- Bible reading plans, choices, personal reading, books! at The End Time
- Bible Reading Plans for the New Year- 2017 at Michele Lesley books
Just for Fun ~ mail art related
- The Joy of Lettering: A creative exploration of contemporary hand lettering, typography & illustrated typeface and Creative Lettering and Beyond: Inspiring tips, techniques, and ideas for hand lettering your way to beautiful works of art (linked to Amazon) because the most recent issue of Mary Janes Farm magazine has an article about mail art and features both books (and written by the author).